Dental cleanings and exams are the foundation of good oral health. If you see your Arlington dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning and check-up, as is recommended, you will maintain the health and strength of your teeth and gums and keep your beautiful smile for a lifetime.
Supplement Good Oral Health Habits with Professional Teeth Cleanings
You can brush and floss religiously at home – and you should – but your tools will never be strong enough to remove all the plaque and tarter from your teeth. Here is what you need to remember:
- Professional dental cleanings from your Arlington hygienist remove all the gunk from your tooth enamel that you can’t reach with a toothbrush or dental floss.
- Even if your teeth are shining and look clean, they are always susceptible to decay without proper care and maintenance.
- Every six months, your dental check-up includes x-rays, depending on your insurance and/or oral health needs. These detailed pictures show your dentist if there is any decay or problem areas within the teeth, allowing any issues to be addressed quickly before they turn into bigger oral problems.
What to Expect at Your Dental Cleanings and Exams
Along with the careful scouring of each tooth, your dental cleaning includes a thorough dental exam. This review of your oral health is brief and it may seem perfunctory, but the act itself is incredibly important.
- Your dentist checks for gum recession, cracks, chips, decay, gum disease, and deteriorating dental restorations. Something as seemingly simple as the diagnosis of worn teeth can alert a dentist that you may be grinding your teeth at night. Getting a night guard can protect your tooth enamel from cracks and breaks and minimize the likelihood of gum recession or problems with your TMJ.
- You receive an oral cancer screening, one of the most important components of a regular dental exam. Your Arlington dentist checks your tongue, lips, cheeks, palate, the floor of your mouth, tonsils, and neck, looking for signs of early oral cancer. Cancers of the mouth or throat are often not diagnosed until the condition has progressed to a severe stage. Seeing your dentist every six months for this critical exam keeps you on top of not only your oral health but your overall wellness.
- Your dentist will see things in your mouth that you will never recognize. While tending to small areas of decay or minor oral health problems may not seem pressing to you, taking care of things before they grow into bigger problems will save you time, expense, discomfort, and complications.
- Your hygienist and dentist will educate you on the importance of preventive dental care. You can ask for recommendations about toothbrushes, dental floss, toothpaste, and mouthwash. This is the time to ask whether you’re brushing too hard, aren’t flossing the right way, and more.
- Take this opportunity to talk to your dentist about cosmetic dentistry. If you have great oral health and strong teeth and gums, you could be a candidate for cosmetic upgrades like porcelain veneers or professional teeth whitening.
See Your Arlington Dentist for Preventive Dental Care
Your teeth and gums are only as healthy as you allow them to be. That means taking care of your oral health at home and seeing your Arlington dentist twice a year for professional dental cleanings and check-ups. Quality oral health care keeps your teeth and gums strong and prevents oral health complications from developing or progressing.
Contact Dr. Alana Macalik today to schedule your check-up. Get on and stay on the road to good dental health.